12.29.2015

DIY FELT LEAF GARLAND

Apartment living means that you sometimes have to get creative with decorations! We don't have very much storage so having a lot of decorations (including a tree - so sad!) just isn't an option for us right now. This leaf garland was so much fun to make! I worked on it one day during both of Elle's naps - so about 2.5 hours - just to give you an idea of how long it took. It was super easy but some of the steps just took a little bit of time. So to anyone who thinks they didn't get the craft gene... no worries my friends, this one is for you!

I got 2/3 of a yard of a dark green felt fabric from JoAnn fabric. Then, I got 1/3 yard of a lighter green felt. I wasn't sure the two colors really matched when I bought them but I knew I wanted a little bit of dimension in the garland. If you want felt balls to resemble "holly" you can buy them at Pebbles in my Pocket in Orem for the cheapest I've ever found! This pack of 12 was $4! 

Then you'll want to cut out various leaf shapes - as many as you can! There is no stencil needed - the more original the better (but seriously, some of mine were scary looking - like didn't even look like leaves scary - and it still turned out!) To give you an idea, the larger leafs were a little smaller than my hand and just went down in size from there. 

Then, cut out an inch-wide strip of felt that is as long as you want the garland to be. I had to sew three different strands together to get it to the length I wanted. 


Once you cut them all of the leaves out, fold them in half:

Then stitch together the bottom like this:
(you can do this by hand but a sewing machine made this whole thing a lot faster!)

You can also layer a few of the leafs together, either different colors or same colors. 


Next, you'll sew the leaves onto the long strip of felt. Just a few stitches will do.


I layered them so some of them faced up, some down. I did the majority of the leaves on ONE side of the felt, but I also did about half the amount on the opposite side. It adds dimension, although I'm sure you could get away with just doing one side.

For the holly berries, I sewed groupings of three together, then stitched them onto the felt where I thought they fit best. 
To sew the berries together, I ran a needle and thread straight through all three berries, then back through the first one, creating a "triangle" which keeps all three together (am I making ANY sense?!)

Feel free to comment with any questions, but there you have it! When I made this, I wished I had a tutorial so maybe someone will find this handy! Hope you have had a very Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

  1. This is so cute! You're right, living in an apartment it is hard because you have no storage space, haha. In fact our whole box of Christmas stuff has to be stored in my parents basement because there is no room at our place. But this is such a cute idea, and so simple too! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I love how creative you are and that you share how to do things! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This garland is sooo cute! Gotta love renting! We have become so creative with how we decorate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. like this.there's also fabric like this @the fabric exchange.

    ReplyDelete