10.24.2014

$15 DIY UPHOLSTERED HEADBOARD

Guys. This is life changing. 

My husband and I are both students right now, so spending $500 on a headboard is not exactly in our books these days. I've been wanting a headboard for a while now and I finally got around to it. The cost? $15. How amazing is that? We're only going to be in Idaho for a few more months so I wanted something temporary AND cheap.

The best part about this headboard? It's totally completely temporary. If I decide to change our room on a rainy day or when we move, I can do this all over again or even put new fabric on top of it. How cool is that?

It was literally SO simple. I got a big piece of cardboard (about 6 feet by 5 feet roughly). I was only going to use one piece but decided that if I double layered it, it would be a little better. I measured the width of my bed and how high I wanted it to get an idea of the shape. I used random objects from my house to trace it out. I used a mirror for the top dome, a straight edge for the sides, and a big bowl for the scalloped corner.
Hey look you get to see my messy house!

Then I used the first piece to trace out a second piece. I used duct tape along all of the edges to get them together.

I then bought 1 & 3/4 of a yard of batting from JoAnn Fabric. It was on sale 50% off (or they always have 50% off coupons to use). Total cost came to $7. I cut the batting about 3 inches around to fit the shape of the cardboard.

Okay this is where I apologize because I forgot to photograph the next few steps. I was just too giddy excited! I used duct tape (once again) to curl the batting over the cardboard. It only needs to cover one side!

Next I laid the batting-covered cardboard out on top of the fabric. I bought the fabric at Home Fabrics which is my FAV store ever. We have one in Idaho Falls luckily but they also have a bunch of them in Utah. I've been to them in Orem (Across from in-n-out) and Murray/Sandy area.  They have really high quality home fabrics for dirt cheap. (I'm talking anywhere from $5-$15 a yard) They come on a big bolt which is great because it's able to cover the entire headboard without having to sew two pieces of fabric together. I got 1 & 3/4 of a yard again and my total cost for that was $8.

I used a staple gun to staple the fabric around the headboard. Voila!

It was so simple. So easy. So fun. & I think it looks so cute! Especially for the price tag.


And had to include a picture of Elle because she's so darling.

If anyone decides to do this.. PLEASE comment and tell me how it goes! I want to see photos of other things people do! I also know you can make a more long-term headboard using wood and foam (but my dad's wood cutting machine thing is in Utah so I substituted with cardboard) The pro with using wood and foam is that you can make the headboard TUFTED. Oh I'm obsessed with anything tufted. Yay for fun DIYS.

28 comments:

  1. okay, i'm obsessed! i'm doing this for my bed in my apartment ASAP. you're the best, thanks mads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh YAY that is such a cute idea send me a pic when you're done car!!

      Delete
  2. Heidi did a head board a few years ago, hers turned out cute, just as yours did. I admire the type of people who can think things up like this and then do them. I swear I didn't get any of the "craft" gene. It all went to my sisters. And before you guys move away, I really need to meet Elle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you are too funny! I would love to see Heidi's!! And YES I still can't believe you haven't met her yet!!!!!

      Delete
  3. do you graduate soon? congrats if so! I'd like to know how you're doing school with your cute babe, cause I'm a little worried about that part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I graduate in December!! I took like 20 credit semesters my entire pregnancy to speed up school. I do online classes but I have lots of friends who just rotate with their husbands and work their classes together so someone is always with the baby! You will be great with it!

      Delete
  4. Too cute! I want to go make one right now! Okay, dumb question...how did you put it at the head of your bed? Did you hang it on the wall or set it on something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So like I said I was so excited about this I just set it there for the picture, I haven't hung it yet but I'm just going to get a bunch of those command strips! I'm sure you could do it any way you want though that's just what sounds easiest to me:)

      Delete
  5. ohh myy goodness!! LOVE this!! thanks for the idea lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! Let me know if you try it!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am totally gonna try this! I doubt it will come out as nice as yours though! I am not the best crafter in the world. Maybe I will just try a big square. haha Thanks for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes try it, and seriously mine is not perfect haha just don't look too closely at mine;) But a square would be so simple I'm sure it would turn out so good!

      Delete
  8. I wish I would have seen this when I got my new bed! This is sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is soo amazing! I may even pin this for future use, and maybe even a smaller version for a little girls room one day :)

    xo Kierra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is such a cute idea.. I know I will have to keep that in mind for a little girls' room for one day in the future!

      Delete
  10. YES! I am doing this and will definitely share a picture! Our bed only fits right where the window happens to be and I hate that the window is right next to our heads, especially with winter coming - its going to get cold! Thank you for sharing and for your awesome instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok just stumbled across your blog and your family is the cutest. Also this is amazing and maybe one day I will be feeling crafty and attempt to do this because we don't have a headboard either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You are too nice!! Haha it doesn't take much skill I promise, yours would turn out beautifully I'm sure!

      Delete
  12. I did your way, step by step and I love it!!

    ReplyDelete