8.14.2014

SCATTERED THOUGHTS ON MAMA-HOOD

Okay can someone just stop time for like ten minutes - how in the world is my baby already 3 and a half weeks old?! Part of me is so excited to watch Elle grow up and develop her own little personality over time but another part of me just wants her to stay in this little newborn stage for forever! She is so precious and yesterday Tyler and I started to notice that she has definitely grown since she was born and it was a little sad! Time really does fly and this is my justification for taking a million plus photos everyday. Memories, people!

In all reality, being a mom is the absolute best. We are SO lucky to have Elle in our lives. The sleepless nights, lack of showering (gross I know, but it's a real struggle finding time for them believe it or not), and being covered in spit-up - it's all worth it! 

Sleep?
Other new parents we knew warned us that the sleep aspect of being a parent was the hardest part. This was really discouraging to me because I am a girl who NEEDS.. no seriously, must have my sleep. The first couple weeks are not bad at all because you are on an adrenaline rush. Just in the past couple days the lack of sleep has finally started to catch up on me. It's really tiring to get up every couple hours (and don't get me wrong because I have a dream baby who will some nights go 5 hours solid) but it's all so worth it. Last night, Elle woke up at 2am and was WIDE awake. These poor babies come to earth with their days and nights mixed up so it's not like she knows any better! She was rested and ready to play! I was a complete zombie and as I was feeding her, I looked down and her big eyes were staring up at me. I realized in that moment that sure I was tired and would have loved to have gone back to sleep, but seeing her and how much she relies on me and really needs me made it ALL TOTALLY worth it. 

Breastfeeding?
I feel so so fortunate that breastfeeding has gone so smoothly for me because I know that for a lot of people it can be a real struggle. I kind of mentally prepared myself that I would have a hard time with it, so when I didn't, I was so pleasantly surprised. The night she was born, Elle latched right on & I instantly fell in LOVE with breastfeeding. You feel so close to your baby & it's really very special. I didn't expect to love it so much. In the hospital, one of my breasts became engorged which was pretty painful. I kept nursing on that side and within a day or two it went away. I remember clenching my fists as she would feed on that side but feeding anyways was what helped it to heal! That has really been my only struggle thus far. 

On another note to future moms, I recommend getting a nursing bra at least a cup size larger because I grew probably two cup sizes when my milk came in (which was on day 3 or 4 after she was born). Cheers to no longer looking like a twelve year old! Breastfeeding also does wonders when it comes to loosing that extra baby weight. I have already lost all of the weight I gained plus 5 pounds, and I haven't exercised one bit so I know it's not from that!

Mama?
I'm really doing very well! My incision feels great and it no longer hurts so bad to sit up and down at night when getting up to feed Elle. I was pretty nervous for all of the postpartum hormones that would come after Elle was born but I think because we had family to help us it really made a difference. They were able to lift my spirits, keep me preoccupied laughing, and reassure me that I was doing a good job. That's really all I needed & it made all the difference. Of course, I still had a couple meltdowns but that is SO normal. I remember crying last week and Tyler saying, "What's wrong sweetheart?" and I responded telling him that I had no idea why I was crying, I just was. That has happened many, many times haha and nothing cures those hormones better than a good cry!


Excuse this scattered blog post. But on another note, I took Elle with me to Idaho Falls for grocery shopping and errands for the first time on Monday. I was alone - and very scared! 


Tyler was job shadowing a doctor from 2:30-4 so I dropped him off and was going to run to Target and Sam's club in that hour and a half. Boy was I wrong! I was only able to make it to Target and Elle was pretty good until she decided she was hungry and started screaming. That poor little newborn cry pulls at my heart strings like none other! It makes me so nervous and I know all you moms know what I am talking about. It was a quiiiiick trip to Target, probably the fastest in my personal history. Next time, I'm brining my husband for any type of errand until I master this whole being-a-mom thing! (either that or gain some confidence!)





14 comments:

  1. honestly just love this so much. i love her so much already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly just love YOU so much and she loves you already too!

      Delete
  2. Ah, keep on telling me all of the things about being a mom. I am so nervous about the sleep & breastfeeding aspects because I've heard horror stories. My heart is happy that you are loving them both, though you probably deserve a nap. Baby elle is just the sweetest thing I've ever seen. You deserve a million gold stars & a cupcake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - no worries. They'll keep comin' - slowly, but surely. You are going to be so great. I know the feeling of all of the unknown.. but it totally works out. As cliche as it sounds! But thank you - I think I do need a cupcake. ;)

      Delete
  3. How I can relate to sooo much in this post! The lack of sleep thing is killer. You have a great attitude about it... at least here on the blog. :) I too loved nursing! Showering will always be somewhat hard from here on out for a few years. I still need to take one for today. Ooops. And going to town to run errands has taken on a whole new meaning with a child. Maybe I should write about Monday's excursion? I laugh now but it was NOT FUNNY then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It really is killer!! Yes naps are the best, showers are the best, when they happen, and yes please write about monday's excursion! Mamas can always relate with those :)

      Delete
  4. AWWWWHHHH!!!!! You little mama! Holy cow. Picking up this whole wifey-mama thing SO well and fast! You're incredible Madeline, and you bet that I'll be coming to you for all of these helpful life hints! I love you, you GROWN UP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Tiff you are so sweet! Not sure how true that is but I am surely learning a LOT! I love you!!

      Delete
  5. Two and a half years ago when I became a mom I had unrealistic expectations and it did not work out at all how I imagined it would. Think very fussy baby who hated to sleep and breastfeeding not working despite every effort I gave it. This time as I prepare to welcome my twins at least I know to not have high expectations and maybe it'll be better. Keep taking those million plus photos of your little beauty and plenty of videos too. My husband and I are constantly entertained by looking back at those moments in time. I go overboard with photos and video and I cherish every single one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is why I have had a really good experience with adjusting to parenthood - I had really real expectations. I think I almost prepared myself for the worst, so when it wasn't all bad, it was pleasantly surprising. I still have my hard days, however, of course! But I am glad I'm not the only mama who takes a million pictures :)

      Delete
  6. Glad things are going well! :)

    ReplyDelete