7.19.2014

THIS NEXT WEEK IS GOING TO CHANGE OUR LIVES

The girl who does all she can to avoid getting a flu shot each fall is going to birth a baby in a few short days... Yikes. How is this pregnancy almost over?! It has gone by oh so fast and it's definitely bittersweet. Yesterday was so crazy, and I'm still letting everything sink in. I had my 39 week appointment, and I went in crossing my fingers I would be even just a little bit dilated because my braxton hicks have been getting so strong! (Feeling them a few times each hour - they pretty much feel like my stomach turns to a rock plus menstrual cramps) We knew we were going to be getting an ultrasound because last time my doctor was wondering why baby girl had been staying on the right side of my belly my entire pregnancy. We walked in and the ultrasound tech said, "So let's figure out if she's breach or not!" I responded saying, "Oh we know she's not, this is just to see why she is on the right side all of the time." The tech said, "Hmm.. that's not usually why we do these but I guess we'll see!" I didn't think a thing of it. But moments later when she said, "Sure enough, she's breech!" I think both Tyler and I were completely shocked! She measured my amniotic fluid, which was very low and then told us we would probably be delivering this baby either that day or tomorrow. At this point Tyler and I started to freak out! All of my wishing that time would speed up stopped in that moment and I just wanted things to slow down for half a second. We did a non stress test (they hook you up to a machine and monitor the baby's heartbeat and your contractions) for 30 minutes or so to make sure the baby was okay. I was dying of thirst but the nurse explained I couldn't have a drink because I was likely going to be getting a c-section later that day. 

We finally met with my doctor who (thankfully) told us that because our baby seemed healthy, we could wait until next week if we wanted to schedule the c-section. The chances of her flipping are slim-to-none because my amniotic fluid is so low (which also explains why my belly does not seem as big as I thought it would be by now). I am still very nervous about the whole c-section thing, including the recovery aspect of it all, but I am also a little happy because now the process of actually having her won’t come as such a surprise! We will be able to know when it’s happening - & being prepared in that sense makes me a little relieved. We just want our girl to get here safe & sound, and if that means c-section, so be it!

There’s a part of me that doesn’t want to let go of Tyler and I’s “us” time. Being married to him is the best thing in the whole world and we’ve got our life set into sort of a norm by now, and it’s a little scary thinking that in less than a few short days, everything will be shaken up in our routine. 



I love waking up early in the morning and turning over to see Tyler next to me. I love laying in bed each morning for 20 minutes just talking. I love making breakfast together, getting ready together, driving to school together, studying together, meeting up between classes, and our daily lunch breaks. I love our late night craving caves where we spontaneously go grab cupcakes, ice cream, snow cones or McDonalds sodas. (We like healthy treats, I know). Life just seems so very perfect and I don’t think that I really expected it to be so wonderful. I figured that the height of our relationship would be our wedding, and then from there it would slowly decline over time as the termed “honeymoon phase” faded over the years. No one ever told us that it would just get BETTER and better every single day & that has been such a pleasant surprise. I thought I was happy on the day we got married, but let me tell you, I’m a billion times happier now than I was then! Tyler and I had a long chat last night and we realized that yes, life is going to change. And it's going to change fast! But, this life is all about families. That is why we are here! We could continue to live our perfect life, or we could add to it and make it even better. Tyler said to me, "Yeah, life's going to change, but think about it. We can still do all the same things, we'll just do them with our little sidekick!" We're so excited for this new chapter in our lives and I couldn't be more grateful to do it all with my very best friend and the man I love the very most.


14 comments:

  1. A few days ago I read this article (http://happyhomefairy.com/2013/08/04/why-i-loved-my-c-section/) & after reading your post I thought I would pass it along! Also this post totally brought me to tears- the sweet sentimental kind thinking about our late night in-n-out runs. I am so excited for you & Tyler! She is going to be the sweetest little human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, thank you for telling me about that blog post! I loved it. There's pros & cons to whatever way in my opinion so it's nice to look at the pros seeing that I don't have much of a choice now :) But thank you so much - I just adore you!

      Delete
  2. Don't worry, everything is going to be okay. You're young, the doctors know what they're doing, your family will take care of you and you'll walk out of the hospital with your daughter and your husband. You'll be a champ!
    Do you have the date set for the c-section?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You're right, I get a baby girl at the end of it all so that's wonderful! It will be either Tuesday or Thursday. It depends on my levels of amniotic fluid, and the date will be finalized Monday at our appt!

      Delete
  3. How so very exciting! I wish you the best of luck and welcome little sidekick :)
    www.dancingthroughsunday.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You are so kind :)

      Delete
  4. This is such exiting news, your sweet baby girl will be here shortly!
    The thing with a birth plan it rarely goes as planned but nonetheless you'll be getting your baby here safe and sound! I am sure you're both so happy, relieved, and a little nervous for it to finally be baby time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's such a fun yet crazy thought! So much preparation and now the time is finally here :) Thank you for your sweet words Camille!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! What a milestone for you two. Best of luck with your little girl, she won't come with an instruction manual but as soon as she arrives you will know exactly what to do. Lovely post and lovely blog. ---Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You are right, no instruction manual :) I appreciate it, thank you!!

      Delete
  6. I just had my baby yesterday and had a c section. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - YESTERDAY? You go girl! I want to hear all about it! I hope your recovery is going okay!!

      Delete
  7. I know EXACTLY how you are feeling. I kind of felt like my life with my hubby was over when my first baby was born. I even cried and grieved a bit. But I shouldn't have! The first few weeks/months were an adjustment but the dust soon settled and we became a happy family with our little sidekick. And now we have two! We also make time for just the two of us because it is still very important to nourish that marriage relationship. In other words, you two can have your cake and eat it too! You will be the cutest mama. Here's to the biggest adventure of your life! Best wishes for a smooth and safe delivery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that so much! I think it's probably normal to have those feelings… but you are so right it's still important to make time for the two of you. Thanks so much Jessie, I'm thankful for the blogging world and that I've met you! You've given me so much comfort throughout this whole process!

      Delete