6.01.2014

TRYING TO GET GOOD AT SOMETHING I LOVE

I've always had a passion for photography. But I've never been any good at it! I remember back in Jr. High, my dad, sister & I took a weekend trip to San Francisco and I snapped this picture:

I remember thinking I had it. I had the talent it took to be good at photography! I laugh now because this picture is just so average to me. I kind of stopped pursuing this interest seriously because I didn't want to jump on the "I love photography" bandwagon that I felt  everyone was on. More, I just didn't want to act like I was good when I knew I still had a lot of learning to do. I have always told Tyler how much I love and appreciate photography and wish I had what it took to be really truly talented with it! He has always been so encouraging of my hobbies and interests and constantly encourages me to do what I love. He's the sweetest. For my birthday last year, he got me a DSLR camera and I have had so much fun over the past 7 months playing with it and trying to teach myself about it more. Now, I still have a LONG ways to go. In fact, I still really struggle shooting manual and am trying to learn as much as I can about it. I have learned that really, taking photos is the easy part. Editing them is where all the time is and also where I have so much to learn.

Last weekend I decided I needed to start practicing more on people if I wanted to really improve. You have to start somewhere right?! So I posted on the Free & For Sale Facebook page here in Rexburg that I am just starting to learn more about photography and I would do $10 sessions for anyone that would let me use them as my guinea pigs! I had my first shoot on Friday and it was so so so much fun! I'll post a few pictures below - here's to trying to become better at something I love!













25 comments:

  1. Looking great already! I wish I was talented with a camera! oh hey I tagged you in my last post. Go check it out and participate if you want to :)
    alexandrialynnheaps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali! Your pictures on instagram are always adorable so that's all that matters right? :) I just looked at your blog you are SO sweet!!! I will try and do this sometime this week :) Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. Girl, you've got this in the bag! I've always loved your photos. (Btw, what lens and editing software are you using?) Anyway, I think photography is a constant learning and evolving thing for every photographer. You will appreciate sooo much having fantastic pics of your soon to be babe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you are the one who is so talented with a camera so that means a lot coming from YOU! I have a canon rebel t3i and used the 50mm 1.8 lens. Then lightroom for editing! What do you usually use?

      Delete
    2. I use an old Canon Rebel xsi. I'm saving for a 6D! :) I use two lenses: the 50mm f/1.8 and a Tamron 24-70 f/2.8. Love them both! Though the 50 will be my go-to all summer because it's so lightweight. I too use Lightroom (I just switched over six months ago) for 90% of my editing and good 'ol PSE if needed for actions, etc.

      Delete
    3. That is so great! You shoot the prettiest of pictures, and no wonder with that Tamron lens! Maybe that'll be the next lens on my wish list :) I just started using lightroom within the last month. I love it so far!

      Delete
  3. Madeline! I found your blog. You're good at making me look good. haha
    I'm going to post the first outfit we took pictures of tomorrow. I'm so excited. :) In case you want to check it out, it will be at www.thefantasticmrsfigg.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay!! Cute blog!! I can't wait to see :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! These are incredible! You totally have an eye for photography!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great! Good job pursuing something you enjoy :)
    www.dancingthroughsunday.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow the picture are great!!! Shoot me an email, I think I can help you overcome the m-mode on your camera ;)
    Have a great day

    xoxo Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome job. I am in the same boat as you. I am reading the book "understanding exposure" to help me understand tons of stuff. My summer plans are full of things I am trying to get better at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiahna! That sounds like a good book. Now if only I could find the time to read lots of books about manual shooting! Baby steps I guess:)

      Delete
  8. They look great! Great job!! I am in the learning stage too. I really want memorable photos of my family - especially my children's everyday lives. What materials are you learning from for the m-mode? Also, did you only use your 50mm 1.8 lens for those taken of your first client?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cortney!! That's what I love about pictures.. capturing memories. My kids will probably hate the camera because I will be taking pictures of them constantly - haha! And yes I did use the 50mm 1.8!

      Delete
  9. Love your blog!! You are cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sariah I love YOUR blog! Seriously you and your husband are adorable. I hope you're doing well!

      Delete
  10. I just found your blog, and I think you are turning in to quite the photographer. I have the same goal this summer to get better at photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lizzie that means so much!! Maybe we can learn together then :)

      Delete
  11. everyone has said it, but great photos! I'm trying to get better myself!
    oh, and also, great name :)

    madelinewhite11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Madi! I love your name too of course :)

      Delete