6.22.2014

EASY FREEZER MEALS


Anyone who knows me knows that I like to prepare for EVERYTHING. This doesn't mean I'm perfect at not procrastinating because let's be honest here, I can put off a 5 page paper until the night before just like you can. But as for anything else… I love to prepare. It's probably due to over-excitedness. Actually, now that I said that I'm sure that's why. Who doesn't love a reason to get excited for something?! 

Well the thing that I've been squeezing into the free time that I don't have (haha) is getting some freezer meals ready for post-baby! I'm sure we will eat out, but I really want to avoid that since I don't love any of the food choices in Rexburg, anyways. Now I've literally just started to do this so I only have a few recipes, but they are meals that Tyler and I already LOVE and are definitely freezer-friendly. 

The first is this recipe here. It's a basil-spinach pesto. This recipe is de-vinnnne! We usually add about 1/2 cup or 1 cup of 1% milk to it, then let it thicken on the stove. This makes it a little creamier but you don't get the calories of actually adding cream. I love this recipe and am excited because all we will have to do is thaw it or heat it up, boil some noodles, and throw in chicken if we are feeling fancy. So easy!

Next we made homemade tomato basil marinara sauce. This is the same concept as the pesto - all we will need to do is boil some noodles, heat this sauce up, and throw on some fresh parm! This recipe is so super healthy and so delicious. For this recipe, simmer 1/2 a chopped onion and 1/4 cup olive oil until soft, then add 4 minced garlic cloves. Before the garlic browns, throw in 5 cut up tomatoes (make sure to squeeze as much of the tomato juice/seeds out of the tomatoes before you throw them in). Let this simmer until it thickens. Add kosher salt, pepper, 1/3 cup fresh basil and you are set! I also added a dash of balsamic vinegar but that is totally optional. 


I made this sweet pork meat recipe last week and had a lot of people who wanted it as well! (Look at the hundreds of reviews on this recipe.. that is why I trusted it in the first place!) Now, I have to say that getting this recipe to turn out just like Cafe Rio's is a little bit of an experimental process. During the last step, when you are adding the brown sugar, coke & enchilada sauce, I never use the exact measurements they give. I start with those, but then play around with the sauce until it tastes just right. One time it was close.. but another time I tried it, I got it SPOT on. So if you're daring give it a shot :) Also - you MUST use the medium spice enchilada sauce because we tried mild once and it was no where near Cafe Rio worthy. All in all, just go in making this recipe knowing that it is not going to be exactly like Cafe Rio's. But trust me - it's CLOSE! We went to the local Costa Vida and bought some of their tortillas and cilantro ranch to serve the pork with. (& we actually both liked our meal even better than Cafe Rio! Crazy, I know) 

I froze half of this recipe for a third easy freezer meal.

Lastly, this recipe is one of our all-time favorites. Seriously, it's so good. We have it at least once every two weeks because it's so simple. Our only change is that we add fresh sweet corn to the black bean and chicken mix. This is a staple & freezes SO well. 
Photo image via here

So there you have it! If anyone has any other freezer meals that they love, please please send them my way! Week by week we are going to be making more of these to stock up on!

13 comments:

  1. LOVE the baby bump in the first picture! You're the cutest, and I love when people share their favorite recipes. So thank you for these!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you!! You'll have to let me know if you try any and how they go!

      Delete
  2. Have you looked on Pinterest?? I was just searching through that for freezer meals and found so many that are healthy and look very yummy. You should do some Pinterest searching :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JanaLe you're genius!! I hadn't even though of pinterest.. shouldn't that have been my first thought?? You are too cute thank you for that idea!!

      Delete
  3. How are you stroking them? I want to do this too but I don't have a super larger freezer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just storing them in our freezer! The pasta sauces take up the smallest container or even plastic ziplock, so they store really small which is good. The enchiladas are in a little disposable tin foil container so that obviously takes up more room but the pork and pasta sauces take up practically no space!

      Delete
  4. Ah I love this idea! I need to do this! My mouth was watering over your pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It's a good idea to do just for those busy nights - pregnant or not!

      Delete
  5. That pulled pork looks delicious! Also, I want to try this.

    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have never done freezer meals but after this post i feel like i have to! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How smart. Thanks for sharing! What is your due date!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! The stacked enchiladas look delish!
    www.dancingthroughsunday.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete