6.20.2014

DECORATING ON A LIMITED BUDGET

I've had a lot of people ask me about my nursery and I want to go into detail a little bit as to how you too can make a dream room on a limited budget. I did not buy everything for full price and in fact tried really hard to save on everything I bought. Doing that (shopping the sales) really enables you to be able to buy MORE. Now, this nursery wasn't necessarily cheap because having a baby is expensive! But hey, I signed up for this knowing that so it has all just been part of the preparation process in my eyes.
To start, preparing this nursery first started almost right after we found out we were expecting. My mom called me one day from Target and the $200 crib we bought was on clearance for 75% off and there was one left. Of course we bought that! The curtain rod and lamp were both purchased at TJ Maxx and were originally dark brown (and a very ugly dark brown) but I loved the shape and the price couldn't be beat so we bought them and sprayed both gold! My mom and I, who are complete amateur seamstresses, sewed the gold metallic bedskirt and the floral window treatment. We LOVE the store Home Fabrics in Utah because they have very high quality home fabrics for great prices. As for the dots on the wall, I had seen them on pinterest and fell in love. I was going to purchase them from here (the cheapest and best reviewed I could find online) until we realized that my aunt & uncle have a vinyl machine and my sister works for them, and knew how to use it. So thanks to a lot of family helping hands, they cut the vinyl dots out for me and the vinyl only costed $10! (and I have sooo many extra for wherever we move next) 


This cute clover mirror was bought black, but obviously I loved the shape so much so we just spray painted it as well! We were able to find a place (Jones Paint & Glass in Provo) that did custom spray paint so I was able to choose the exact peach color I wanted. Under the mirror I bought a little bookshelf from Target and inside of it, I have two little baskets that are from TJ Maxx. I'm planning on filling them with diapers and wipes as extra storage. (We have a dresser and changing table on top in our bedroom that we are using for storing all of baby girl's clothes - it just didn't fit in our small second bedroom but did fit in our master!)

As I started looking for rockers, I knew I wanted an upholstered one. The bad news was that anything I was seeing online started at $500 (and frankly I didn't even like them). The ones I really loved were in the $800-$1,200 range and that was just not going to happen for us at this stage in life! So I kept watching KSL classifieds and found one for $200. The chair was purchased at a high-end baby store in Salt Lake City and was used by a mom who had lightly used it for about 6 months she said. It is literally in MINT condition and still looks brand new. 





The gold foil pillow was from TJ Maxx, and the gold polka dot pillow was made from Robert Kauffman's fabric you can find here (it's all over Pinterest too - haha)









Lastly, the ottoman was purchased off of KSL classifieds as well. The person I bought it from got it at Home Goods and then never even used it. It was literally brand new! The only issue was that the top of it was originally black. So my mom & I found the perfect peach fabric at Home Fabrics and reupholstered it - which was so so simple. 






And that's it! I posted a picture on instagram of Tyler and I eating homemade sweet pork tacos and a lot of people wanted the recipe, so I promise I haven't forgotten & I will post that yummy recipe tomorrow!

13 comments:

  1. Way to decorate a beautiful room on a low budget!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay for a fellow cheapo! Seriously I am shocked at how expensive some things can be when I know I could make or find the same thing for so much cheaper! I have been really proud of myself for not paying full price for anything pertaining to baby! Your nursery is proof that cute doesn't have to cost a fortune! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha fellow cheapo I seriously laughed out loud :) Here's the thing - if you can get it to turn out beautiful AND save money why wouldn't you? I can't wait to see yours Whit! When is it going to be done?!

      Delete
    2. hopefully within the next 3 weeks! Just waiting on some things to ship!

      Delete
  3. It looks lovely! I love the colours you have chosen, they all look so pretty! How exciting :)
    www.dancingthroughsunday.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wondering what size dots yours are? 1 inch? 2 inch? Love your nursery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is the most amazing nursery. haha sorry not sorry for the blog stalking, but seriously lady. you've got a serious eye for design!
    xoxo
    e
    the little diary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Question....how did you get your dots so perfect? Did you use a laser level? Measure them all out? I am thinking of doing them but unsure how to hang them. Great job!! Love your nursery!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I had a lot of help from my dad who is an engineer because doing it perfect gave me a headache. I wish I could tell you more, but we made a little stencil that was the exact length that needed to go from each center of the dot to the next. I know that's not much help and I'm sorry! But thank you!!

      Delete