4.28.2014

MATERNITY

I read once that cute maternity clothes are like sushi - they're either really expensive but awesome or  cheap and bad. Let's be honest - maternity clothes are just hard to come by! I have had my moments of discouragement the last few months as I've tried to begin collecting a maternity-friendly wardrobe. I've had a couple of people ask me to post about this so I'm going to just let you know what I've done & what's worked for me and hopefully it helps you too!

To start, the first couple months are that awkward phase where you are so excited to be pregnant, but to strangers you don't quite look it yet. For those months I honestly just tried to cover any evidence up with shirts that weren't fitting & dresses that didn't hug my body. When I finally (it felt like forever) got to the point where I started actually looking pregnant, I wanted to embrace it! 

The key to maternity wear in my opinion is to make pieces you already have last as long as possible! I have been pleasantly surprised with how many items I've been able to keep wearing just because of the particular styles and cuts. More specifically, a lot of my normally loose shirts now hug my belly and with the right accessories (belts above the belly or whatever else you want) you can really pull it off as a pregnant lady!
Because the thought of buying maternity clothes only to wear them for four months is so unappealing to me, I've made sure that every item I've bought I would continue to wear even after pregnancy. I know this sounds crazy, but maternity clothes are honestly NOT that different than regular clothes! The only difference is that the hem is usually a little longer on the front side so when your belly pops, the hemline appears straight across all around. These clothes are perfect because after you have a baby (from what I hear) you still look 6 months pregnant for a couple weeks while your stomach and uterus are working their way back down to their semi-normal size. I plan on wearing my maternity clothes past my pregnancy because so far, I've bought things that I love.
As far as shopping goes, I always look for two things. One, I look for items that I would wear after pregnancy, not just during. This means I'm looking for blouses that have a more flowy, classic look to them that I could pair with leggings post pregnancy. Two, I look for COMFORT. A lot of my clothes that I've bought haven't even been maternity-official. I've purchased plenty of leggings, skirts, and dresses because pants or anything that puts too much pressure on my sensitive belly is no fun.
My favorite website to shop for maternity clothes so far has been ASOS. If you watch for sales, they have some amazing deals plus if you're a student you get 10% off! I've also gotten a few items from Ross. Yes, I said Ross. They have a maternity section and 99% of it is horrible, but I've found probably 5 blouses that I absolutely love! I've also found a lot of great things from Anthropologie, Nordstrom, and a few things from Target. 

My only recommendation is to invest in a pair of maternity pants or jeans. I bought a pair at Old Navy and they are already too tight. Yes - the elastic waistband made specifically for big bellies is too tight! Not the actual pants, but the waistband is so tight that our baby girl just punches it and pokes it all day long haha she doesn't like it cramping her space one bit. So I will be buying another pair from somewhere else very soon :)

12 comments:

  1. Love it Madeline! I had the same experience with some Old Navy pants I bought. I ended up really loving some Motherhood Maternity jeans I bought. They hugged me just right and didn't make me feel like I was trying desperately to fit my huge belly in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Julia! I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a bad experience with Old Navy's jeans. I won't make that one again. Thanks for the tips though, I will post again if I find some maternity jeans I just love!

      Delete
  2. By the way, you are such a cute pregnant lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the analogy of maternity clothes being like sushi! So true..all the cute ones are outrageous expensive and I just can't spend that much for 5 months or less! I have found some good things at ross/marshalls too! and of course asks! you've been soo good at staying super cute through out your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true! You are the cutest though and I'm jealous of your petite little body because my issue has been finding dresses that are long enough with my popping bump! I wish I lived closer to a marshalls!

      Delete
  4. Maternity clothes are so hard! I only bought one piece of maternity clothing: jeans from Ross. Your advice is the same advice I always give my pregnant friends. Maternity clothes are too expensive to wear for a few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are!! I've been lucky getting a lot of wear out of my pre-pregnancy clothes, but there are a few things that need to be purchased like jeans!

      Delete
  5. I wear my maternity pants from motherhood almost everyday. Problem is the pants part is too big! Even in xs and they don't have any smaller that I could find... So I feel like they are falling down all the time but the stretchy belly keeps them up... just not quite high enough despite my big belly. So frustrating! I wish I could shop with you! I seriously wear man T-shirts and if I'm home, pjs. I only have enough cute maternity appropriate clothing for Sundays. Oh well. :) Let me know if you find a place with good and long maternity shorts. Everywhere I've seen has booty shorts. FOR MATERNITY! It's sad. And the full pants are too expensive to chop into shorts... Thanks for posting! I've got some shopping to do... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard good things about those pants so that is good to know! I haven't found any shorts yet but I will for sure be on the lookout! :)

      Delete
  6. So Cute Baby And Offcourse So Cute Mumma Also Toshiba PVT-375BT may you live long and happy life!

    ReplyDelete