2.26.2014

THIS SOUP WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE

A girl in my home ward, who comes from a very gifted (cooking-wise) family, works in New York, New York for Martha Stewart. She is the mastermind behind all of Martha's recipes. She is a phenomenal cook & a couple years back when she visited home, she taught a cooking class that my mom went to. At the end, my mom got a recipe book of some of the things they had made throughout the week and this one is a family favorite. (And seriously, it is my one favorite meals of all time. It's that good!) 

So.. if you're looking for an easy soup recipe that is SO healthy and absolutely finger-licking. This is the one for you.

BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP


3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. squash, seeded, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
4 carrots, diced
1 large onion
1 clove garlic
salt and pepper
4 1/2 cups chicken broth
Compound Cinnamon Butter
Toasted slivered almonds

Heat olive oil in large, deep pot on medium.  Add squash, carrots, garlic and onion.  Cook until onion is soft, season with salt.  Add broth and bring to boil, turn heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes or until squash is very soft.  Cool slightly then puree in Vitamix.  To make compound butter, add cinnamon to butter and mix.  Roll in a waxed paper log and chill.  Slice off pieces of butter and put on top of soup. Toast sliced almonds on top as well.


This butter is the only part of this soup that isn't good for you. But it's worth it, trust me. The recipe is a little vague so let me help you out. Use about 1/2 cup of room temperature butter and put cinnamon in it. There's no exact measurement but it's quite a bit. I just do it until it looks like the photo above. My mom doesn't do this with hers but I usually add a teaspoon of white sugar as well.  Put a long skinny roll of this alongside the short edge of a sheet of parchment paper and roll up! Put it in the freezer or fridge to harden then slice it up to serve on top. Oh, & don't forget the toasted almonds on top.


And there you have it!

4 comments:

  1. Love all things butternut! I tried to make my favorite restaurant butternut squash ravioli a few days ago, and it was a huge fail because, well, who makes good pasta from scratch? Not this girl. This soup looks way more up my alley. Thanks for the recipe! I'm always on the lookout for a great one. (And nice job with the photography, too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's so yummy! I just love this soup. And with fresh homemade rolls - divine! You'll have to let me know how you like it :)

      Delete
  2. I made this last night (I've never cooked a squash recipe before) and Travis LOOOOOVVED it! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    oursweetthingcalledlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh i'm so glad you liked it!! My family loves it too. My husband didn't like it though, but I didn't mind because I've been having it for lunch! :)

      Delete