1.05.2014

HOW IT WENT DOWN


The last few months have seriously been such a roller coaster for Tyler and I. Life has really changed for us, but it's been the best change and we are just SO happy! 


Back when we were engaged, thinking about birth control made me cringe. I don't know why it made me so nervous. Both my mom and mother-in-law had horror experiences with the pill so long story short I landed on the IUD. It was painful to be put in, but it could be left in for up to 5 years and we figured we didn’t want a baby for at least a couple. I figured that we had all the time in the world to wait and that we were in no rush! 

A couple bliss-filled months of marriage passed and to be honest, the idea of having a baby had been nagging me the entire time. But I didn’t tell Tyler quite yet because I didn’t feel ready. Just before General Conference came, Tyler pulled me aside and told me that he had been feeling prompted for a while to start our family. I told him that I had too.. but that I didn’t know if I was ready to be a momma yet. We decided that we would pray and try to decide over conference! We had a few very spiritual experiences as a couple that aren’t very appropriate (in my opinion) for sharing on an open blog, but we got our answer.

I was terrified. There was absolutely not a shadow of a doubt because of our experiences that we should put it off. I knew we needed to move forward in faith. I now realize that a lot of the reasons I was putting it off weren't reasons worth waiting! I was worried it would make getting my degree impossible. (which is important to me!) and frankly, I was scared of what people would think of our timetable. These fears were preventing me from the faith that I needed to move forward with what I felt Heavenly Father wanted us to do. 

Fast forward through doubts, what-ifs and finally, faith. We made my appointment to take my IUD out. From there on out – it has been nothing but the best experience. I felt complete peace from that moment forward. I figured it would take us a few months to get pregnant, right? We conceived on the very day my IUD was removed! My doctor said that in her 20 years of doing what she does.. she had never seen someone get pregnant so quickly after an IUD removal. It was meant to be!

One morning, I was getting ready for school. Tyler was coming to pick me up to take us to campus in 30 minutes. All of the sudden I had the idea to take a pregnancy test. "Noooo. There's no way. Plus I'm not even supposed to start my period for a week." The thought kept nagging at me. I justified taking one by realizing that seeing the one line would help me to stop thinking about it so much the following days. To stop being so paranoid about the possibility! So I did my thing and sat it on the counter. I went to get dressed, came back in, still nothing. Left again to grab a drink. Went back to take a peek at the little stick on my bathroom counter...

At this point, I started double checking. Making sure what I thought two lines meant really meant what I thought. "Oh my gosh.. oh my gosh.." and then the tears came. But they weren't "oh no" tears.. They were tears of joy! They were tears of excitement. Tears of happiness, truly! At this point, Tyler would be home in 5 minutes. I hadn't planned on being pregnant so soon (It had been 2 weeks without birth control), let alone a clue of an idea how I was going to tell him! I did the first thing that came to mind. 

He walked in, "Hey babe! Ready to head to school?" I was wiping the kitchen counter, (and shaking so hard, at that) and handed him a cloth and asked him to go wipe off the counter in the bathroom. I paused, and waited for him to see the test on the counter. As he walked into the bathroom I just heard, “No way babe!” and then he popped out and said, “Really?!” with THE BIGGEST smile on his face. We sat on the couch for an hour talking, smiling, and in complete shock. 

We are so happy. This entire experience has been nothing but positive, nothing but uplifting and nothing but strengthening. We feel blessed and we feel loved. Little Vance is officially 11 weeks old. We can't wait to meet this little one!


10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Sorry so late to responding but thank you!!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful story, He works in the most mysterious and wonderful ways! So happy for you two! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so true - He sure does! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I love your story. Makes me even more baby hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, life works out in ways you don't always plan it to!

      Delete
  4. This is so sweet! We had such a similar experience. I was pregnant only three months after we were married. The plan was to wait until we were both done with school, but we both started feeling very strong promptings that we shouldn't be preventing a family. We had our very spiritual experience and just knew. I was able to get my degree after Ezra was born, so it's definitely possible, girl! You can do anything if you have faith that Heavenly Father wants it for us. I'm so excited for you to be on this journey, and I hope you will come to me if you ever need support in anything!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kaylie!! You are amazing, truly!

      Delete
  5. This is so cute!! :) I love it

    ReplyDelete