11.13.2013

BUDGETING

Neither Tyler and I have really ever tried budgeting. We decided to give it a shot to try to make our money last longer. The main part of this was that we realized we need to cook more at home. Now, I absolutely love to bake and to cook but I'm in school full time and I just don't have as much time as I wish I had! We find ourselves grabbing sushi or running to costa vida one too many times a week. (It's taken me months to get to this point… I love my sweet pork salad & my sushi..) I realized that not only will it be healthier to make time for cooking, but it will also help us to save money! 

So I only work about 10 hours a week, and Tyler can't work because he is Canadian and that requires a working visa which is a long process to apply for. I've had a lot of friends ask me how Tyler and I survive off of my 10 hours a week job. Tyler has a fund set up by his grandfather that we use for school and living. We feel so very fortunate to have this! So for now, our budget is very simple. We use the money that comes from my job for groceries, gas (which isn't ever very much - Rexburg is so small) and date-night money. Then, we only use our bank account for paying for rent each month, bills like that. We feel that this plan is going to work out really well for us and I am excited for the challenge of a budget!

I'm a complete amateur budgeter, but here are some basic steps that we are going to try that I really think will work for us. 

1. I made a "Dinner Planner" for us to fill out each week so that the meals are set in stone. This will help us to stick to a plan and avoid last minute dinner runs because we've been busy all day.

2. Use cash! My husband likes to swipey-swipe (who doesn't!?) and so we have decided for us the best method for spending our gas money, grocery money & date-night money will be to only use cash. This will help us to avoid the temptation of unnecessary purchases.

3. Have a cheat day! I'm not anti-eating out, I promise. Tyler and I love taking trips to Idaho Falls to go out to eat because they have a much larger selection of restaurants. We are allowing ourselves to eat out once a week as a date.

4. Keep it simple. Each families budget will be unique to them. Don't get too complex with it because it will become harder to keep it up. 

5. Be smart. Save, catch the sales & "make do".


I know this post is kind of boring, but I needed to do it for me. To be honest, I don't know how long this will last, but I want it to! I guess that documenting my plan is my own way of  commitment.

Do you budget? What works for your family?

18 comments:

  1. Seriously a budget does wonders! Our first year of marriage stunk without it! It took a while to try new things but we finally found something that works great for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that's great news to hear!! Yeah I have high hopes for it and I think it's a great skill to learn!

      Delete
  2. budgets are so hard to keep up with! but I found this post (http://ryleeblake.blogspot.de/2013/10/what-budget.html), that is so great :) works wonders for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! I love that. Thanks so much for sharing! I'm excited for this budget:)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl I am also trying to be better at budgeting! I am so bad and totally slip sometimes haha but I'm trying! I looked at how much I was spending on eating out and I was in shock! I love your tips and I'm gonna try them out for myself :) Thanks for sharing!

    thelolajames.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much cute girl! Yeah it's definitely a goal of mine. Good for you for doing it too! You'll have to let me know if you have any great tips!

      Delete
  5. Yes! I can't stress enough how important budgeting is. It can be so hard, but once you get into it, it makes your life so much better! My husband and I started on a strict budget and were able to buy a house by our first anniversary because of it!

    Love these tips! One thing I'd add is having a 'budget meeting' at least once a month. This keeps you on track and allows you to see what you're doing well and where you can improve.

    Good luck! Keep us posted on how it's going! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to blog about it if you haven't already Kaylie! I would love to hear about what you guys do. Our situations are obviously a little different since you have a cute little boy but this budget is our first step and I hope to improve it over the years!!

      Delete
  6. Such great budgeting tips, I always have to remind myself to only use cash... me and my card are way too much of friends! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brooklyn we are the same! Haha I know, I find that with cash, I hold off on buying a lot of things. It's better for me so I'm excited to be using cash only :)

      Delete
  7. love this. i find myself struggling with budgeting A LOT! i love shoes and clothes too much to not spend money on them. one thing that really helped me is knowing how much i will be needing for gas, groceries and entertainment each month and using cash for all of those. you can make separate envelopes for them, and where you have extra cash in one you can use it towards the other. like if you budget well for groceries one month, that's extra money for entertainment and who doesn't like that?

    xo. m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha mila, that makes two of us then! Shoes and clothes are my guilty pleasure. I love that idea because that way you're not depriving yourself of buying absolutely nothing for yourself, but you are just more smart about your money!

      Delete
  8. Jake and I are super into budgeting and have been budgeting our money throughout our whole relationship! We created about 3 different excel sheets for us and we try our very hardest to stick to it. I'm going to post them on my blog here soon, so if you want it, it's all yours! Budgets do wonders. Cash envelopes are a great way, if you stay on top of it. I wish I would have done budgets in high school, but better late than never!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh for real you guys are SO smart. I can't believe that - so cool! Yes please do because I would love to improve!! I know I think this all the time that It would have been so smart to have made a budget a long time ago!!

      Delete
  9. Oh my I'm in love with your blog (like I read to start kind of love haha).

    I've been trying to budget my money better since I receive a student loan that stops over our summer break (2 weeks time, eee) and I'm going to need money over summer, so I feel you pain!

    I can't wait to read more of your blog!
    Nicole ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole I am SO GLAD you stopped by and I love YOUR blog now :)

      Delete
  10. Hi lovely!

    I have been enjoying your blog and so I have nominated you to receive the Liebster Blog Award!

    All the details on how to participate are on my blog here ♥
    http://highstreethighlight.blogspot.ca/2013/11/liebster-blog-award-2013.html

    I hope you join in with the fun, follow the directions on how to participate and join in on promoting eachother and getting eachother recognized :)

    XOX Courtney @ highstreehighlight.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete